Thursday, April 10, 2008

Where's Stephanie?

I'm leaving Saturday to go with 20 people (including my dad and favorite cousin) on our annual trek to Guatemala. Some of you are familiar with this adventure but for those of you who aren't here's a little info. For the last four years I've been part of a team from Trinity United Methodist Church in Palm Beach Gardens that goes to Antigua, Guatemala to work at Colegio Rey de las Naciones. This is the school that my sister is involved with as a full time missionary. The team has done all kinds of neat things - built playground equipment and picnic tables, roofed a classroom building as the school expanded, wired those classrooms and rooms at the 'new' school (Terranova), and added two more classrooms last year.

This year we'll be working at Terranova to add more classroom space and finish the buildings they are currently using. Since my cousin is a rocket scientist my sister has talked him into launching rockets with the kids on our play day. I can't wait to see how much trouble we get into!

The touristy part of the trip will be climbing a volcano on Saturday. A few years ago we climbed Pacaya, an active volcano. It was amazing to be able to get right up to the edge and feel the heat. It was also interesting to climb down in the dark.

I'll be gone from April 12-20 and when I return I'll be at FLA in St. Pete Beach. After that I'll be back in the office a few days before I head to Fleet Week in Ft. Lauderdale and then on to SAMM in Atlanta. Then I think I'll come back so I can go to THE wedding and maybe return to work.

A huge THANKS to everyone in the NEFLIN office who covers for me so I can have my little adventure.

No comments: