Thursday, February 20, 2014
Judith Weaver, media specialist, High Springs Community School, has been honored as one of twenty educators nationwide by the U.S. Green Building Council.
Judith demonstrated a commitment to advance ecoliteracy and brought environmental sustainability into her school.
Thursday, January 16, 2014
|Join us for a Groundbreaking Celebration! Construction of the new wing and renovation of the Fernandina Beach Library will soon begin. Join us Thursday, Feb 27, 4-5pm. 25 N. 4th St, Fernandina Beach RSVP by Feb 22 to info@fernandinaFOL.org|
Tuesday, January 7, 2014
Please give us your input on NEFLIN training and services by taking our online Annual Survey.
The survey takes about 15 minutes to complete and will be available until January 31, 2014.
We value your comments, which will help us improve our services in the future.
Thank you for your input!
Wednesday, December 4, 2013
RDA for Copy Cats: 2 part NEFLIN webinar (April 1 and April 3, 2014)
Copy cataloging is becoming somewhat more complicated, as various important creators of MARC records gradually switch from following AACR rules to following RDA instructions for the records they make. RDA/MARC records certainly look different than AACR/MARC records, and so do the Hybrid AACR/MARC records that are also showing up for you to copy. But the good news is that there are some straightforward patterns in the RDA instructions that will help clarify the changes that RDA brings to our copy cataloging process.
More information and registration
Thursday, November 7, 2013
Technical Services: Friday, December 13, 9:00 - 10:30 am Online, Leader: John Lucy
Monday, October 14, 2013
Friday, September 20, 2013
University of Florida
University of North Florida
Library Champion Award
Helene Kamps-Stewart, President
Murray Hills Friends, Jacksonville
Distinguished Career Award
St. Johns County Public Library
Group Shot (i.e., one without Brad)
Golden Apple Award
Alachua County Library District
(Chris Culp, ACLD, on left)
Thursday, September 19, 2013
NEFLIN celebrated its 20th Anniversary this year at the University Club in downtown Jacksonville.
Photos are here. (Thanks go to Rosemary Szczygiel for taking these photos!)
Give us a few days to add highlights and other info to this space.
Friday, September 13, 2013
The Jim Morris Continuing Education Fund (JMCEF) was announced at the NEFLIN Annual Meeting on September 12. It will provide an opportunity for individuals employed in NEFLIN member libraries to apply for a $100 stipend to be used towards library related conferences, training, professional development or classes that contribute to the continuing education (CE) of the applicant. It was created by the 2011-12 NEFLIN Board of Directors and is dedicated to the memory of Jim Morris.
1. Applicant must be an employee (full time or part time) of a NEFLIN member library.
Cycle 1: October 1, 2013 - January 1, 2014 - applications accepted. Events need to take place January - June 2014.
Cycle 2: January 2 - April 1, 2014 - applications accepted. Events need to take place April - September 2014.
Cycle 3: April 2 - July 1, 2014 - applications accepted. Events need to take place July - December 2014.
Cycle 4: July 2 - October 1, 2014 - applications accepted. Events need to take place October 2014 - March 2015.
3. The NEFLIN Board of Directors will consider completed applications received by each deadline date and will award funds based on the following criteria:
a. Application is complete and received by deadline date
b. Applicant is eligible for this award cycle
c. Appropriateness of the event to applicant’s continuing education
d. Assessment of applicant’s statement explaining the need and benefit of the continuing education event
4. Stipend may be used for registration fee or travel expenses for library related continuing education.
5. Award notifications will be made by the end of January, April, July, and October. Funds will be disbursed after the applied for CE event takes place and all documentation is received.
6. Following the event, stipend recipients are required to:
a. Submit documentation (ie, registration receipt, travel receipts, agenda and/or certificate of attendance) as proof of attending the event.
b. Write a brief summary (approximately 250-500 words) of their experience at the event and how it benefited them or their library.
7. A maximum of one $100 stipend will be awarded per applicant per calendar year.
8. If an application is not selected for an award, the applicant may apply again in the next awards cycle.
9. The NEFLIN Board of Directors will award funds at their sole discretion.
Examples of eligible Continuing Education Event expenses include:
*ALA, FLA or other library conference registration fee or travel expenses
*Travel expenses to NEFLIN Continuing Education classes or special events
*Sunshine State Library Leadership Institute registration fee or travel expenses
*Other appropriate library related continuing education events
The JMCEF is supported by the NEFLIN Silent Auction and donations. Thank you for your support.
To make a donation to the JMCEF, click on DONATE below. Note: You do not need to have a PayPal account.
Monday, August 19, 2013
Thursday, August 8, 2013
Tuesday, September 24, 10-11 am ET
On your DESKTOP
Details and Registration HERE
Have your patrons started to ask questions about the Health Insurance Marketplace and open enrollment? How much is it going to cost? Will I be able to afford insurance? What will my options be?
The federal health care law known as the Affordable Care Act (ACA) will bring many changes, especially for people who don't have health insurance now. During Open Enrollment (October 1, 2013 through March 31, 2014), Floridians will use HealthCare.gov. to apply for coverage, compare plans, and enroll.
Learn how to access the tools and resources you need to help your patrons find answers to their questions and understand their health insurance options. There will be plenty of time for you to ask questions.
Trainer: Pam Thompson, E-Government Consultant, Division of Library and Information Services, Bureau of Library Development
Register at: http://a3.acteva.com/orderbooking/bookEvent/A336977
- This is a Live Online webinar. You will be emailed access information.
- Two or more people at the same location may watch this together. Register ONCE under one name, then notify NEFLIN [firstname.lastname@example.org] afterwards of who viewed it. Include the name and date of the webinar and the names of the attendees.
Cancellation deadline for this workshop is 9:00 am Friday, September 20.
Otherwise, no show fees may apply. See cancellation deadline policy at bottom. See all NEFLIN CE policies at http://www.neflin.org/cepolicies.
Monday, July 29, 2013
Tuesday, August 13, 3:00 - 4:00 pm
7847 Bayberry Road, Jacksonville
Join Doug McNamara and his staff for a tour of this popular book vendor, and then stay to shop their over 21,000 titles! For 32 years Mumford has provided the service of "Hands On" book selection to over 3,000 public libraries, K-12 schools, and academic libraries.
Host: Doug McNamara, Mumford Library Books
Register at: http://a3.acteva.com/orderbooking/bookEvent/A335127
Thursday, July 25, 2013
Trainer Betsy Diamant-Cohen will be presenting "Mother Goose on the Loose" for NEFLIN at the Deltona Regional Library in Volusia County on Monday, October 21 (registration coming soon). She is available for other dates in Florida that week and it would reduce the cost for her to book another class. If you are interested please contact Betsy at email@example.com. Below is the description of the class.
Mother Goose on the Loose
This one-day workshop teaches about early literacy and school readiness, explores scientific findings regarding child development, shows how to easily plan and present successful library programs for children under age three and their caregivers, and inspires participants to begin offering programs at their libraries.
- Understand the applied research on childhood brain development
- Experience a hands-on Mother Goose on the Loose session
- Master the structure and principles of Mother Goose on the Loose
- Learn how to create high quality early literacy programs
- Acquire techniques for engaging infants and toddlers
- Discovery new ways to educate and involve parents and caregivers
- Interact with colleagues to share knowledge and ideas.
Tuesday, July 23, 2013
NEFLIN's 20th Anniversary
Thursday, September 12, 2013
9:30 am - 2:30 pm
University Club, Riverplace Tower, 27th Floor
1301 Riverplace Blvd., Jacksonville, FL 32207
$35: Includes lunch and parking
- Keynote: Richard Harwood, The Harwood Institute
- NEFLIN Annual Report
- Walk Down Memory Lane
- Lunch and Networking
- Silent Auction (proceeds to benefit the Jim Morris Continuing Education Fund)
- NEFLIN Library Directors registration only through August 9
- NEFLIN Membership registration opens August 10
- Registration deadline August 23
Thursday, July 11, 2013
New Vendor: Envisionware
Product: Library Document Station with Coin & Bill Acceptor bundle
Discount amount: Normal price for this combination is $9290.00. EnvisionWare is offering a 15% discount when purchasing these 2 products as a bundle.
Product Information: The Envisionware Library Document Station allows patrons to scan any document to Email, Smartphone, Tablet, Fax, Google Drive, Print or USB. This product can be integrated with the EnvisionWare Print Management SoftWare (LPTOne). This integration is not a requirement and should you not be an LPTOne user, we will simply not enable this feature.
More information can be found on NEFLIN's vendor discount page.
Monday, July 1, 2013
From the July BLD Newsletter.
Thursday, June 27, 2013
For those who couldn't join us for the NEFLIN Technology Conference (and you know who you are) here is a link to the presentations.
It was a great day of fun and learning. We were pleased that the event was so popular that we had to increase capacity to accommodate 125 members.
Keynote speaker, Lee Rainie, was fantastic. If you get an opportunity to hear him speak...do so. I liked his self-description as "a fast talker that could have had a second career as a prescription medicine side effects reader" (you may have to think about that for a bit).
Thanks go out to the Florida Division of Library and Information Services for funding this conference. We look forward to bringing this event to you again in 2015!
Tuesday, June 25, 2013
The Florida State University Information Institute’s Hurricane Preparedness & Response for Florida Public Libraries web portal has been updated and now features the 2013 NOAA Hurricane Outlook and recent Hurricane Preparedness workshops offered by Institute staff.
The web portal was created with the support of the Florida Catastrophic Storm Risk Management Center at FSU’s College of Business to assist public libraries and local communities better plan for, and respond to, hurricanes.
This web portal serves as an excellent resource for public libraries and assists them with:
- Providing hurricane-related information resources, services, roles, and best practices related to hurricane preparedness;
- Developing model plans, standards, guidelines and recommendations for hurricane preparedness; and
- Discovering existing strategies that libraries use to assist state and regional government with disaster coordination; and
- Discovering Hurricane Preparedness training and organization opportunities and events sponsored by the Information Institute, the American Red Cross and other agencies.
Utilizing the service role of the public library, as part of a team of emergency responders, libraries aid a community’s hurricane response by doing the following:
• Among public librarians: Encouraging public library managers and staff to better understand the roles, best practices, tools and resources available to them as they shape their library’s efforts to aid their community’s hurricane response and to aid the roles of their fellow responders, particularly emergency management, local government leadership, and other agencies;
• Among fellow responders: Educating other responders such as emergency management, local government leadership and agencies, nonprofits and businesses about the roles public libraries may play, as part of a team, to aid in community hurricane preparation and recovery; and
• Among residents and evacuees: Communicating to residents which hurricane preparation and recovery services they can count on at their public library.
Learn more about the project here.
Visit the web portal here.
Doctoral Student, School of Library & Information Studies
Florida State University College of Communication & Information
Graduate Research Associate
FSU Information Institute
Friday, June 14, 2013
Thursday, June 6, 2013
See ALA Virtual Conference program details at: http://www.learningtimes.net/ala13/program/.
Do not register yourself with ALA - register with NEFLIN and we will send the access information to you.
Wednesday, June 5, 2013
- Contact each Interest Group Leader with input or to get on a mailing list.
- Interest Groups are open to NEFLIN Members Only.
AND remotely online
Monday, June 3, 2013
Mentors work one-on-one with their mentees to:
- Identify professional development goals.
- Provide guidance on the design, implementation, and evaluation of a library leadership project.
- Master the Institute's leadership competencies.
- Contact information - name, title, organization, telephone number, email address.
- Brief outline of your area of expertise based on the Institute's competencies.
- Reason(s) you would like to mentor a Sunshine State Library Leadership Institute participant.
Please submit your letter of interest by August 1, 2013, to Jill Canono at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For additional information contact Jill Canono, Leadership Development Consultant, at Jill.Canono@dos.myflorida.com or 850.245.6648.
Friday, May 31, 2013
Complete CE Schedule
4 RDA Trainings
Supporting the Distance Learner
Working with Vendors
HTML for Beginners
Face to Face classes include:
Technology Road Show - 4 locations
Lean Library Management
Thrifty Ideas for Adult Programming
NEFLIN Interest Groups
See all NEFLIN Classes HERE
Wednesday, May 29, 2013
- Member of the Year Award (New)
- Distinguished Career Award (New)
- Innovation Award
- Library Champion Award
Monday, May 20, 2013
The last day to register for the NEFLIN Technology Conference is Friday, May 31
at the Embassy Suites are $99
Call 904-899-9517 and ask for Iris to get this rate
Room Block deadline is May 31