Friday, May 7, 2010

Mobile Link Love

I hadn't planned it, but the main links this week all regard mobile tech, thus the title of this post.

---------------------------------------

OCLC is hosting a free online symposium later this month. The Future is Mobile, Is Your Library Ready? Thursday, May 20, 1:00pm-4:00pm.

---------------------------------------

So I'm reading TV Guide this week (Yes, I know TV Guide. 15 million of us still read it weekly, thank you.) And there are a number of "mobile tags" in the issue (see above). I was intrigued.

I did some investigating and learned a little about how these tags work. The diagram below from the wikipedia is a good illustration.

Using your smart phone or Blackberry you can take a picture of a "tag" in a magazine or other print source and the tag is decoded by your phone and then takes you to a website with more information.

Some libraries have already adopted these tags (e.g., QR Codes) in the stacks or catalog. A few examples.

---------------------------------------

Google is looking to compete with Amazon and Apple by opening their Google Editions (E-Bookstore) this summer. This would be a separate program from the scanned collection in Google Books.

"The e-books would exist in a 'cloud library', which could be accessed from potentially any device, including laptops, smart phones or e-readers."

---------------------------------------

I love genealogists, but now they want my DNA? Just kidding, Arnold. I had no idea that genealogy folks were into this. Check out this program at the Clay County Public Library tomorrow if you are interested in learning more.

---------------------------------------

Those who know of my TiVo addiction must realize that May is a wild month with most TV series winding down to their season, or series, finales.

I am going to miss both Lost (6 year run) and 24 (8 year run).

Oh well, I will just have to move on and just enjoy the other quality TV programs and movies that TiVo provides me with each week!



No comments: