Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Disney til you bust

Some of us finally made it back from ALA in Anaheim. It was a great conference, lots of good content and networking. I'll post the "fun" stuff today and tomorrow get into the real meat of it. Brad and Patty will be back in the office on Monday so I would expect they'll post next week once they've caught up.

Flying is always an adventure and this trip was no exception. I've learned the value of choosing to get the airline alerts. Right after I checked in Thursday night my plane was delayed which meant I would miss my connection in Dallas so I quickly called and rebooked to fly out early (6am) on Friday. I was lucky compared to many on my flight. Coming home I learned about the dangers of mixing pills and alcohol - someone actually had to be taken off by the paramedics when we landed at midnight in Jax. Kudos to the flight attendant for remaining calm in what seemed like a pretty frightening situation. Got home about 1:30am to be woken by my roofers at 6am as they tried to finish before the afternoon rain struck.

Anaheim seemed like Orlando in miniature without the humidity. Sunshine, palm trees and Disneyland. It was very walkable which was nice. Many thanks to Danny Hales (Suwannee River Regional Library) for the free tickets to Disney - we had a great time Monday night.

There were some really good programs. This year they really promoted going to the ALA wiki for copies of the materials that were distributed in sessions. They also had a section on the wiki for Sharing via Library 2.0 technologies, it includes links to conference twitters, flickr uploads, del.icio.us links to conference materials, all kinds of good stuff. I would encourage everyone to give these links a try.

It's good to be home. Thanks to Jeannie for holding down the fort while we were all gone. Tomorrow I'll get into some real content. (I really did more then just eat good food and go to Disneyland.)

No comments: