Saturday, September 20, 2008

Resource Sharing at Its Finest

I'm a big fan of recycling. So I was really excited when we learned that Clay County had a Teacher Supply Depot. After a little investigating I made a connection with Stephanie Helm who is Co-Chair of the Depot and a 5th grade Science teacher at Doctors Inlet Elementary in Middleburg. This morning I went out and volunteered so I could see what it was really all about.

I'm familiar with the Resource Depot concept. There's one in Palm Beach County that my parents 'shop' at for my missionary sister and that we've been sending stuff to for quite some time. I've always wished there was one closer to home.

This one is in Green Cove Springs in what I think is an old high school. They collect new and reusable items that can be used by classroom teachers. The place was full of all kinds of great craft stuff, office supplies, books, pretty much anything.

If you want to see photos, check them out on flickr or watch the video on YouTube. If you want to arrange a donation, you can call 264-5866 and leave a message. If you work for Clay County Schools I'm guessing you already know about this treasure trove. If you're in another county I encourage you to see if your county has a Depot.

No comments: