Tuesday, November 25, 2008

How to Make the Most of Open Source

Open Source software has always been a concept that I understood but feel like I have lots of questions about. Yesterday I sat in on the Free and Open Source Software in Libraries program hosted by MaintainIT and was quite pleased with how much I learned. The content was pulled from the Free and Open-Source Software chapter in the newest cookbook, Planning for Success which is just chock full of information.

The discussion was led by Jean Montgomery, Network Administrator for the Upper Penisula Regional Library Cooperative in Michigan.

I was surprised at the number of things I use that are actually open source. Firefox, Java, Flash and ShockWave.... there's a big list at Free and Open-Source Software for Windows .

Open Source ideas from the presentation and sources mentioned during the program.

PC MANAGEMENT:

INTEGRATED LIBRARY SYSTEMS:

CONTENT MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS/BLOGS/WEBSITES:

OPERATING SYSTEMS:

ANTI-VIRUS:

CONTENT FILTERING:

OTHER:

No comments: