Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Search Alerts Help You Find Quality Information

One of the many things I learned at the Library 2.0 workshop taught by Anthony Shamoun was how to create a “Search Alert” for articles in the Florida Electronic Library (FEL). A Search Alert allows you to have articles on any topic e-mailed to you, or you can receive them through an RSS feed.

I have been interested in reading articles on “Library 2.0”, and not just from finding them randomly on the web. Why not have them sent to me?

So, I did a search on Library 2.0 from the FEL main page.

Then I clicked the “Create a Search Alert” link in the upper right hand corner of the page.

A window opened up and asked me for either my e-mail address (to send me future articles) or subscribe to this RSS feed (using an aggregator like Bloglines).

That’s it.

I tried both for a few weeks, and definitely like having the articles show up in Bloglines (just a personal preference). Try this out and let me know what you think.

No comments: