Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Rethinking E-Rate

I know many of you attended the E-Rate training last week. I wonder how many of you are thinking - is this really worth it? I've never had to complete the paperwork but I do frequently hear from those of you who are challenged by the forms, the timeline, and all the requirements.

There's an interesting article on ilovelibraries.org (an ALA publication) about the "pros and cons of why libraries should be tapping the largest available pot of federal dollars." The article is written by Carrie Lowe, director of the ALA Office for Information Technology Policy Program on Networks.

I had no idea that the e-rate provided at least $2.25 billion in federal funds for libraries, as compared to the $220 million from LSTA. If you want to learn more about e-rate, I encourage you to take a read.

No comments: