Do you need training that's convenient for your schedule? Do you have an area of interest that you'd love to know more about?
NEFLIN offers LE@D - Lifelong Education @ Desktop - online continuing education courses through the University of North Texas. These high-quality, Internet-delivered, on demand, self paced CE courses provide on your desktop professional development opportunities to librarians and library staff and they're FREE as part of your NEFLIN membership.
This week's featured course:
Gifts for Libraries: Be Careful What You Wish For
From your own experience with gifts in a library, you may already be aware that there is both good news and bad news about gifts. The good news about gifts to libraries is that they are many. The bad news is that only a small percentage of what is offered or given is likely to be what the library really wants or need. This course will pay special attention to those gifts that are intended to become part of the "stock" of the library. It will also deal with the elements of a complete gift policy and discuss the political and public relations implications involved with gifts. By participating in this course, you will learn about these topics:
- Legal issues associated with gifts of all kinds
- Monetary and other funding gifts
- The special case of "special collections"
- Gifts of materials for the collections
- Gift policy and its essential elements
- Criteria for evaluating gifts of materials for possible inclusion in the collections
- The real cost of gifts
- Processes for handling gifts efficiently and appropriately
- Public relations and educational opportunities available when managing gifts appropriately